Monday, April 20, 2009

Sri Lanka on the way forward ?

I am overjoyed with excitement with the news that hopefully the whole country will be free of terrorism within a matter of few weeks. Terrorism is the single biggest reason that left our country stranded among the poorest of nations in the world.

All around the world, there are many professionals who were born and educated in this island nation, but now living in foreign countries after giving up hope for a better future for our mother land. But once this lunacy of terrorism is over, I guess we would have an environment where all the Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims and the rest can live in harmony. Every where I look in our country, and every industry that I think about, I can only see the potential for investments and development. I always imagine a future where all of our engineers, researchers and scientists return to Sri Lanka and start building the future Sri Lanka as one country, one nation and one people.

In the mean time, I wish that our tamil brothers and sisters would understand the reality of what is actually going on. Please open your eyes, don't be shadowed by the propaganda of the terrorists. There is nothing called a 'good terrorist' and a 'bad terrorist'. Realize that there is a difference between a true 'freedom fighter' and a 'terrorist'. Listen to the true voices of the innocent people who are been taken hostage by the ruthless organization.

If anyone feel that the Sri Lankan government can't be trusted, why not listen to the international media and international representatives. Check out the following videos.




See what they are doing in other countries as well ..



4 comments:

Tim said...

"If anyone feel that the Sri Lankan government can't be trusted, why not listen to the international media and international representatives."

Buddhika, while I truly believe your intentions are noble, I would like to point out to you, just as you say Tamils are brainwashed by LTTE propaganda, you must understand so are the Singhalese. I can speak for myself, living in Jaffna in my college days, I've seen countless acts by various SL governments at the time dropping bombs from the air on innocent people's homes and killing the entire family. I've seen the SL army shoot young boys age of 10 or 11 at random and I've seen a bus load of passengers on their way to a festival be bombed by a SL jet. I also happen to know immediate family members who lost their brothers or sisters because in the army’s view they were all ‘kotiya’ , and in reality they were just school students. I know your govt never broadcasted any of this on Rubawahini, so I can't blame you for not knowing that. My point is, you must understand, for over 30 years all the Sri Lankan govt has been doing is trying to marginalize the Tamils and kick them to the curb. True that most Sinhalese (and most Tamils for that matter) want to live in peace, but I don’t believe that is what your government wants. In this situation how do you expect any Tamil to have TRUST in your government? Unfortunately, the Tamils are the unlucky ones here, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If the govt of SL wants to truly prove it’s sincerity to it’s Tamil minority , it needs to really commit it self. It needs to compensate for the past 30 plus years of abuse each Tamil endured in the hands of the previous govts by focusing more on the affected areas, diverting a large amount of it’s resource into education and rebuilding, hire more Tamils at work places, and rework the university quota system. Are you prepared for that? Somehow I really doubt even the ‘moderate’ Singhalese will let this happen in their lifetime.

Buddhika said...

Thanks Tim, for the comment. I agree with some of your points. But my argument here is even if all what you say is true, that was just the history. Now there is room for improvement in the future.
Do you think LTTE has fulfilled your expectations ? If their intentions are noble, why would they kill the civilians by their own guns ? I feel nothing else but true sadness when I see the faces of these innocent people. Please take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994_MMEdokY&feature=player_embedded

One think I agree is that this is not the end, but this is just the beginning. A new beginning. It all depends on how we handle everything from this point onwards. So, why not we forget what all other governments and also the LTTE did for the last 30 years and look into the future...

Tim said...

Buddhika, I admire your sincerity and your faith in humanity. I’d like to think you and a majority of Singhalese even understand the difficulties Tamils have gone through to some extent.

Like most Tamils, we saw the ltte as our only ‘savior’. You have to remember; we were in our teenage years when all chaos broke loose, so all we remember is just that. The LTTE was disciplined and dedicated to their cause unlike any other organizations at the time, politico or gorilla. Even the mighty India couldn’t get VP to become their puppet. I also agree there were many atrocities committed by the LTTE, even leading up to the holding of the civilians like you said. I find both the govt and the ltte responsible for the carnage that is going on in Mullaitheevu right now.


This war has caused very deep scars for people like me who witnessed it and have family members killed by the army for the only reason they were Tamils. War is a horrible thing; it drenches your heart in venom. But, I am also a believer that humanity will prevail; Chances are we won’t have a Buddha or Jesus be born in our time to preach to us about forgiving the sinners, so we have to do this on our own. I believe if we treat each other equally with respect and love we can move forward. After all, we are children of the same island aren’t we?!

I hope our children will have a better future than us and will never have to witness what we did. I wish you all the best!

Buddhika said...

Thanks again tim,

Yes, I believe in humanity. I share the same sentiments. Let us hope that every thing will be all right in few years.. But I know it will be difficult to create a different mindset in people (both sinhala and tamil) in a few years time.
The first step I guess is that Sinhala, Tamil and Muslim politicians must realize this .. The next few years will bring a new era to our country, one way or the other..